Sarah draws on her years of experience as a novelist and journalist in this very hands-on, practical workshop. She’ll teach techniques to get students’ creativity flowing, as well as concrete, practical tools to create narrative tension, deepen character, and create a sense of immediacy for the reader. She gives comprehensive handouts, with examples from others’ writing, and illustrates with anecdotes from her own writing experience. She gets the students writing straight away, and they’ll do lots of writing throughout the workshop.
This workshop works best for a group of the same stage or a group of keen writers across a mix of stages.
- Free-writing as a brainstorming tool and fast, effective way to write a first draft.
- The drafting process – how a first draft is different to the final draft.
- Exercises to flesh out character.
- Using detail to show rather than tell.
- Writing a ‘sensory brainstorm’ to generate material to bring a piece of action alive.
- A strategy for creative writing in an exam.
- Student Q and A.
StoryBoard is a FREE presentation/workshop experience for all Northern Rivers schools (maximum three hours). We ask the schools to provide morning tea for the author and volunteer tutor.
Time & Date
StoryBoard workshops are scheduled to fit within your school’s timetable.
Our visits are generally scheduled between 9am – 12.30pm, with lunch between 11 – 11.30am.
Our schedule though is flexible, and we will work with you to find the best fit.
Our online booking enquiry form asks you for your bell times so we can create a suggested schedule for you.Book a Workshop
Or browse authors